Friday, July 28, 2017

Verdant Dreams-The Canon 5D Mark IV


The verdant summer greens of the Arizona high desert.  Here in Oak Creek in between the Summer monsoon
rains. A little play, a little work and a lot of peace and quiet. 
Canon 5D Mark IV


Ive only had the Mark IV for a few weeks now but the moment I pulled the trigger and previewed my first playback image, I could immediately see a difference.  I bought my Mark II in 2012, used from another photographer and I've been roaming around since happily ignoring that always present siren song of the newer, newest, better, biggest.  I've never had an editor or a publisher ask me about my gear, so I've felt pretty confident about my old school set-up and news feeds are full photographers (with more cents than common sense) who snap up the newest, latest, greatest, lightest, fastest, coolest....and how many times I've seen the same gear for sale, later. You get the point and still...I've never seen anyone catapulted to photographic super-stardom because of a gear change. 

So I've never been in a big hurry to change my equipment.  I think after 5 years, I've just outgrown it.   The focusing  system in the Mark II was woefully behind the current DSLR technology with 9 focal points in comparison to the 61 point system in Mark IV. The SOOC difference is unreal. Now with in-camera "as shot" distortion correction, diffraction correction and an in camera lens optimizer, it's a clean shot with much less effort. Not something I could say about the Mark II.  

This past year, I've been fortunate to see an uptick in requests for published materials and when  preparing my old files, I'd feel my teeth clench as I knew they could look cleaner.  Mainly, sharper,  less noisy in the shadows, less flat, more dynamic.  I've worked around this as much as I could but there is only so much I can ask of a camera almost 10 years old. 

Both images here, taken hurriedly with the Mark IV(not my usual m.o.) due to intermittent downpours. 

I'm happy I didn't  jump at the Canon 5Dsr as I was tempted after reading for months and months about this new Canon but I knew my laptop editing wouldn't handle the file sizes well.   Going from 21 MPs in the Mark II to the 30 MP Mark IV has been effortless and will be a huge plus as I love to crop in close with my landscapes. 

Did I say that I love this camera? 

Last week, I grabbed Halo and the new camera, we headed up the canyon for a few days to work and play and mostly it rained.  It was a short and sweet first outing to get to know the camera as we dodged in and out of storms. Right away I see the potential for a great relationship, it's lighter, larger LCD and the touchscreen...makes decision making so quick.  I'm still learning about all the new upgrades and how to put them to use to serve my own personal vision.  With a huge increase in light sensitivity I can explore night photography, something I just found frustrating with the Mark II's limited 6,400 ISO. The Mark IV swings in at 32,000 ISO in its native span but expandable to 50-102,400. With 7 FPS on tap vs 3 in the Mark II,
 I can foresee a whole new genre of interests just waiting to be explored. 

I have a long way to go before I master the camera like a rubix cube.  I have countless articles to read, manuals to peruse and tutorials to log on before I feel comfortable and educated. 
The upgrade in technology has surprisingly brought about this re-newed sense of enthusiasm that frankly I'd never thought I'd lost in the first place but then again, 
that's what love does, it makes everything all exciting  and new !

to be continued.