Monday, July 07, 2014


It would seem more apropos that with my photography I'm not so much a seeker of the great landscapes or grand vistas but simply one in love with the light. 


In the beginning, I knew this intuitively but not technically. A stunning composition means nothing in flat boring light or light so bright and harsh it drains the scene of all color, texture and depth. In such situations now, I wont even take a shot. 

Whatever it takes to experience the landscapes with sweet light, I'm down for. I'll sleep in the back of my SUV, hike in the pitch of dark or return to a scene over and over. Many times though, I find myself at a location waiting for a sunrise, sunset, the magic hour or a break in the clouds. I may have to wile away the hours for many hours.

Once, I found myself positioned for some nice creek reflections but the light was harsh and I needed to wait about 2 hours. I had food, water and plenty of things to read but mostly I find myself just thinking.

I sat there and just looked down at my feet. I was sitting on a rock in the sand surrounded by some marshy reed-like plants and I saw something move out of my peripheral vision. It was a bug, not sure what kind but it had a small cut leaf it was taking "somewhere". I became curious so I followed his journey. The more I watched the more I realized he was just one of many busily preforming meaningful tasks in a little bug city.

Other little creatures were crossing here and there. The ants were marching two by two. Butterflies in flight, bees pollinating, mosquitos skimming. There was world going on at my feet and I was fascinated by it. The light came and went and I missed my shot. I felt kind of silly but shrugged it off and packed up my stuff and left.

Thinking about it later, I'd realized that the hours I'd wiled away observing the world at my feet had been strangely yet amazingly relaxing and peaceful. I was fully in the moment and devoted to something I found fascinating. As a kid, I did this hunting for rocks. It was this moment that actually changed the course in my photography. A moment of evolution.

I became more drawn towards these smaller worlds and sought to photographically find those "moments" where the world melts away and being completely immersed in something outside oneself just feels good.

To me, the object is dependent on the place, time and mood. When I feel it, I've found it….

the rest just melts away.