Sunday, June 08, 2014

It's A Girl's Life


"That time of day when the sun hasn’t come up yet, but you can already feel it coming. It’s an elusive warmth, like a subtle promise whispered in your ear and you can go on with your day knowing you’ve been given another chance to get it right." 
— Cassia Leo 

Sunrise on Oak Creek 


A summer ritual has always been Oak Creek, either hiking or camping and more recently photography. There is nothing more satisfying than slipping into the creek before the sun is up and feeling the barely warming canyon breezes. The sound of the sand under your feet as you navigate on top of each boulder and attempt to cross the creek. Always in the back of my mind, grey is good, green is bad. For some reason, as I boulder hop, I count. "One, Two, Three…ohhhhh it got me" no more dry socks.

I sit and listen, I sit and wait for the sunrise. I look for the light to gently illuminate the underwater creek pebbles creating a golden glow from underneath. I'll find a rock to sit on and watch the world at my feet, I'll daydream, I'll remember, I'll contemplate and I'll be thankful to be here once again and I'll play in the sand.

Iced tea and fig-newtons, a little water and an apple and I'm invincible. I can make a whole day of it and walk out as the sun begins to set. Feeling a bit like Huck Finn, baseball cap and ponytail out the back, tripod slung over my shoulder like a fishing pole, dirty, sandy and wet. 


Girls will be girls.