Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Touch

"Everything you look at can become a fairy tale and you can get a story from everything you touch." 
— Hans Christian Andersen

By the waters edge I stood after the rain. I found a tranquil spot and let the heavy backpack slide off my back. I'd been hiking for awhile, now I suddenly felt light and unburdened. A slight chill of air lifts my hair and the smell of damp ponderosa pine and incense-cedar still lingers after the rain.  I set up my tripod and secure my camera and I peer into the viewfinder. 


The outside world melts away to reveal a fairy tale.  Enchantment in mirrored reflections, whispering lyrics in breezes and meaning in the voices of a rustling living forest.  I'm lost in the scene as I see myself as a part of the magic, the story, the fairy tale.  I peer upward though the canopy and find the warmth of the sun on my face and know that this is my real world.  Here my paths are illuminated, my thoughts and actions have intent and my heart sees and knows everything. 


A rush of coldness invades my daydream and I pull my face away from the camera and release the shutter button. As I shut down the camera and the scene fades away, I feel as though I've shut down a part of me and an unwritten story.  I know soon I'll come to peer through the viewfinder again not knowing what enchantment awaits but for now,

 the rain returns.