Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Stay Focused

“Things don't go wrong and break your heart so you can become bitter and give up. They happen to break you down and build you up so you can be all that you were intended to be.” 
― Charles JonesLife Is Tremendous


…and what a year it was! 2013

A pivotal year in my exploration of landscape photography.
The ongoing desire to be more proficient technically at a very exciting time within the photographic arts as technology is changing by the day, minutes…seconds.


A year of profound personal growth, facilitated by the emergence into the "other" side of photography, the business side. Leave your sensitive self at the door, it's not for the faint-hearted.

Innately, we all have a relation
ship with competition. It'll be either an inspiring force that compels you to excel or it will be that nagging gnawing voice that's constantly doubting your own abilities and manifesting ill will.

I wholehearted believe that whatever road you choose, that energy will show in your work.

I've met some incredibly inspiring artists this year, visited, photographed and hiked places that have changed my life. I've traveled, camped, ventured and most importantly laughed with complete strangers and walked away with new friends.

The emergence of humans in my landscapes this year has a deep personal effect on me. Somewhat symbolic of the journey.

A stand out inspirational year, that I'll bet when I look back on it will have been the year that truly formed my character as a photographer. Along with the good, I'd learned important lessons about dodging and putting out the fires, fabrications and "ill will" of others. The ugly side of competition and trusting my intuition came into play this year. I'll take the bad with the good, it just made me stronger and bit less naive. It's all good.

The journey keeps me always looking forward. Exploring new landscapes, new approaches, creative compositions and technique, studying, traveling, meeting new people and reveling in the joy that photography brings my life.

Most importantly, I've learned this year to stay true to myself as I define the meaning of success. I'd like in this next year to focus my attention and volunteer my time to support some wildlife advocacy projects and hopefully use my photography as my voice.

Many thanks to those who have been supportive and encouraging during the past year. From the generous professional photographers who have given honest care and guidance, I'm eternally grateful. Those who have invited me on your journeys, you rock!. To those who sit in far off places and enjoy the writing and photography of a girl and her dog in the wonderful southwest, you're why I do…what I do.

I think it's fitting to start my new year in the landscape. On the first day of 2014 I'll begin a solo 5 day adventure hiking, camping and photographing a new vast landscape that I've wanted to experience for long time.

Time alone to be grateful, introspective and respectful. To quiet the mind and remember the words of a great mentor.

STAY FOCUSED!-Jack Dykinga