Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Farewell My Summer Friend


From Bronte to Borland the poets have been speaking of it long before, Summer is coming to an end and I can feel it.  The early mornings are dark again and mild. There is that something, in the air. The anticipation of new adventures, the coming of the color, the smell of wood burning, coffee and all things pumpkin.  Days of wind, leaves and chilled air. 

 So summer is full of people and Autumn is always more about the solo journey.  I'll sit here one last time in the warm air, bare legs and feet chilled in the creek with the smell of sunscreen and Bobbi Brown's "Beach" perfume.  Pink injinji's and keens parked on the creek bank as I contemplate and survey the summer months.  Gaze into the amber creek world of sunlit underwater stones with a bit of sadness for the changes this summer. I study each stone, admiring its luminosity and following its shape and texture with my eyes. Noting the angle of the sun and where the shadow falls.  All of those life antidotes wanting to creep in, all things happen for reason,  there are no mistakes, friends and lovers come and go, nothing helps but the heart keeps searching for some meaning and purpose.  
I supposed some great revelation will appear in years of hindsight. 

"Bad things do happen; how I respond to them defines my character and the quality of my life. I can choose to sit in perpetual sadness, immobilized by the gravity of my loss, or I can choose to rise from the pain and treasure the most precious gift I have - life itself."  Walter Anderson

Least I sit in perpetual sadness, I get off the rock I'm sitting on in the middle of the creek, dust off and look around. I feel the warm wind and sand on bare feet and note that it'll be the last bit of warmth of the season. I let the dog romp in the creek as much as she can. I stand and look around and say farewell to the lushness of summer.  I'll be back in hiking boots, jacket and scarfs to be awed by what Autumn does rather well here. Returning, to be renewed by the season, to fall in love with the Fall and yes, to treasure life itself,
 always.