Monday, December 17, 2012

White Knight


"The night is darkening round me, The wild winds coldly blow; 
But a tyrant spell has bound me And I cannot, cannot go. 
The giant trees are bending Their bare boughs weighed with snow. 
And the storm is fast descending, And yet I cannot go.
Clouds beyond clouds above me, Wastes beyond wastes below;
 But nothing drear can move me; I will not, cannot go." 
Emily Bronte 

I'd seen snow in the enchanted forest before but never just hours after a good snow storm. Just when thought I knew her so well, she became this ethereal white vision that took me away to another place and time and defied my every attempt to put it into words what it felt like. Definitely, suffering from a bit of sensory overload that somewhat stalled the photographer in me, at times, overwhelmed by it all. How do you possibly capture this?
How DO you make sense of it..compositionally?  You don't...you just, be for now.


Snow up to my knees in some places and the creek completely frozen in others. I actually stood on the frozen creek to get a better shot and heard it cracking underneath me. (Yep, sounded just like in the cartoons!.) YIKES.... 

Icicles hanging perfectly and when the wind caught the powdery snow in the trees..it snowed all over again. Treading for miles thru fresh snow in a now unmarked trail was exhausting and invigorating at the same time. I sat under a ledge to eat and rest ....and listened and watched the drops of water play with the icicles, randomly dropping yet still creating a rhythm. The heartbeat of the Enchanted Forest.

One of the best moments (strangely) was my exchange with a snow plow operator. He had been plowing the trailhead area when I walked out and kind of heckled me for paying the $ 2.00 hiking fee, since most people don't. I declared ... I love this place, and when I have the cash, I give it up. It's my honor. He asked me if I had been parked "illegally" apparently some peeps had tickets.  Nope, I'm legal but totally stuck in the snow. A dilemma that weighed heavy on me during my shooting.  "Is that your white SUV?  I'll get you out"  he said.  I started to walk back (about 1/4 of a mile) to my SUV and he drove next to me explaining that he'd like to...but wasn't allowed to give me a ride (rules).  This guy, shoveled, pushed, plowed and then towed...and delivered me from my darkness, or my whiteness.   He was my knight on a white horse, albeit a white plow truck. Put the car in 4 wheel drive and he stood next to my window and said "Go girl!!"  And we both laughed.  It was a great encounter.

I love this photo. I feel like it captured the mood of the snowy encounter and hints at the softness the snow seemed to bring to the landscape. A silvery Winter scene yet the warm glow of the canyon wall can be seen in the creek reflection as the sunrise barely touches the land. It's sleepy and silent. For me, it's a pictorial metaphor on many levels.

Here, this place, my Enchanted Forest,  I always feel as though I've returned to see a friend and today she was dressed in her white lace and fineness. Ageless and timeless...
Happy Winter, you wear it well.