Thursday, December 20, 2012

Friendship


"A true friend freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, takes all patiently, defends courageously, and continues a friend unchangeably." 
William Penn 


Was a subject I thought about hiking around this snowy scene, kept my mind company for hours. Trying to dissect and discern the anatomy of a true "friendship" and how as time goes by, mere acquaintances have less value to me. Quality over quantity. Content to spend a great deal of my time solitary yet finding comfort in trusting someone to be always on the other side of humanity when you stretch out your hand. Touch base. A soft place to land. Be grounded, find comfort. Let's face it, a good friend, is a good find.


Friends can be lifelong or new found, I don't think it matters, it's a connection of the heart and spirit that transgresses time.  An old quote and a recent loss of a friend had me thinking about the unique friendship of Winnie the Pooh and Piglet. Pooh said to Piglet, "If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you."  They successfully found companionship, security, trust, closeness, enjoyment, and reciprocity in their friendship.  It may just be true that the most important life lessons are learned when we were kids. Then rediscovered as adults, hopefully.
Silly ole bear.

A friend is someone there for you, and you for them when times are rough.  Paul McCartney and John Lennon's discussion about their friendship in "With A Little Help From My Friends"

How far would you go for a friend?  "What would you do if I sang out of tune? Would you stand up and walk out on me?  A true friend stays, even when you're out of tune of bit.

There is no shortage of research, writing, poems, songs, movies that remind us that we get by with a little help from our friends.


So, in closing, "remember…no man is a failure who has friends" (It's A Wonderful Life) and and "only a true friend would be…truly honest" (Shrek) And if that isn't enough, just know that "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12" (Stand By Me) Finally, remember, "It's an insane world but in it there is one sanity, the loyalty of old friends" (Ben-Hur)


When you lose a friendship and the person is worth it, the friendship is worth it ~ never give up on it.  A true friend will come back around because friends do that.  If they don't, in the spirit of being a good friend~ simply wish them well.


"True friends are always together in spirit."

--"Anne of Green Gables"