Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Burn Brightly

"This life is yours. Take the power to choose what you want to do and do it well. Take the power to love what you want in life and love it honestly. Take the power to walk in the forest and be a part of nature. Take the power to control your own life. No one else can do it for you. Take the power to make your life happy.”
Susan Polis

 Monsoon has brought great lighting for me. 
Soft and diffuse all day. 
An occasional rain drop now and then. 
I walked in the pre-dawn hours and had the place to myself. The cicadas had stopped clicking, wondering if some part of their life cycle had changed since last week.  
Sand was damp from rain, air was thick and humid so wading around in the water felt good.
 Halo had some good swim time.



As I hiked back to the subway, along the way
I saw a beautiful colored butterfly wing in the sand.
 Like a little stained-glass window yet no longer glowing with life. 
I had been so enamoured with them last week
they were everywhere and I had stopped to hold one and
admire them.
Today the flowers they had froliced on next to the log
had died.

 Walking in the forest the circle of life is constant. 

You can't help but ponder your own circle. 
Someday, someone will walk past a remnant of my life, my art, my photography,
 my stained-glass window.
Will it still be aglow?
Will it shine after I'm gone?
I guess that depends on how bright I stoke the fire today
whether I create a life that beams with light 
or fears and thrives in darkness.
That's a heavy trip for a little butterfly

"The butterfly within you has taken flight
and the air under your wings is exquisite."

from My Heart Wanders